superhero

superhero

Monday, March 19, 2012

Gettin' our groove back

We survived our first weekend home and our first clinic visit.  We passed the first test - and as a result, are feeling a bit more confident and a little bit more calm.  Our meeting with the Dr. went well today, and Charlotte is responding really well to the chemo.

Optimism and hope have returned to our household, and I am clawing my way out of my hole of self-pity.  Spending so much time in the Oncology ward and clinic gives us some perspective.  While we have this double battle, Charlotte's cancer is very curable - many others are not so lucky. 

I got a lovely card in the mail today from a friend, she said "I truly believe we are never given a challenge we can't by Gods grace overcome...if our prayers don't move mountains then they'll help us climb them... to eventually see the view of the other side".

I have started to accept what is, and have to believe that we will be stronger better people at the end of this loooooong double battle.  I don't know why we were thrown in front of the train just as we were feeling our lives starting to reach a level of normal - but I have to tell myself there is a reason, and that we'll be better because or in spite of it in the end.

I cut Charlotte's hair this weekend.  She puked while in bed yesterday.  The result being hair covered in puke.  It is very hard to wash hair while not fully submerging (we could only sponge bath for risk of getting an infection in her port).  Between that and the likely upcoming hair loss - it had to go.  Here are the pics - we think she rocks the short hair!

Before

During

After
Some Thanks
I have to give a big thanks to my mom and mother-in-law, without them I don't think we would have survived the last week and a half.
Also - big thanks to Zuri for rallying the troops that have formed Charlotte's army.  She has set up a website for soldiers here: www.charlottesarmy.com

1 comment:

Terry Grabowski said...

Hi Taleen, Brandie messaged me and told me the recent news. I was thinking of you and I, and the class when we were all on that canoe trip in junior high at Christ the King Junior Secondary (I think or F.H.??). Remember when our canoe got stranded on that rock and bent inside out around it because the current was so strong? I forget the name of the River, but do remember how scared we were...(well I sure as heck was of the sweepers.... Well we made it, and I know for sure even though the river current was strong...YOU were more so!! We got to shore and dried out and then carried on with the adventure; and your strength was then and it is now unwavering and amazing. I am proud of you Taleen, and the strength for your family.
Keep being strong, as you conquered that river, with your strength... you and your family with conquer this battle. We haven't talked in years, but I wanted you to have support from myself, Sandra, Kaleigh and Tanner "The Grabowski's" here in Whitehorse. Our thoughts and prayers are with everyone.