superhero

superhero

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Here we go again

Things have moved rapidly the last few days.  The result being Stefan is going for surgery Tuesday - yes - this Tuesday.

We met with the 3rd surgeon today, but the the last couple days have been a bit of a whirlwind.

Tuesday
Stefan went into work Tuesday - he was tired of sitting at home - so just went and was there a full 6 hours before his watchful secretaries (thanks ladies!) told him he looked tired and urged him to head home!  But - while he was there - he got a call from Vancouver General Hospital (VGH) saying his surgery was booked for March 8th.  This was quite a shock for Stefan since we hadn't yet officially decided on surgery - and hadn't even met with the VGH surgeon yet.  It was also reassuring to Stefan that things were starting to move after 70 days post diagnoses.

Wednesday
Started with our support group in the morning.  I find support group helpful - but also draining emotionally.  It was a good day for us though - Stefan got to talk about his frustrations with the different surgery opinions and get helpful feedback.  We then went for lunch, and then went to VGH to the pre-admissions center.  This was a 2 hour appointment where they basically prep you for surgery.  We ended the day with our oncologist - wanted to give him a heads up about the 3rd surgeon we were meeting with and potential for a Tuesday surgery.

Thursday
That brings us to today.  We met with the 3rd surgeon - Dr. T.  He was great. Basically summed up what Dr. L had said.  The overall consensus - from both surgeons, the oncologist and others was we couldn't go wrong with Dr. L or Dr. T.  Either way - we would get top notch care.  So - our decision came down to timing.  Dr. T already had us booked in for Tuesday - likely we wouldn't get in with Dr. L until April (this comes down to just the # of operating beds at Royal Columbia Hospital (RCH) vs. VGH and that RCH is a trauma center, so other surgeries get bumped).  So......we are going in for surgery Tuesday at VGH.  (I know I always say 'we' when it's really just Stefan - but hey - we're a team).

We are of course nervous - but know it's the right decision.

Dr. T said his instinct says that the tumour could be grade 3.  He said grade 2 tumours don't usually present like Stefan's.  We'll have to see what the pathology from surgery says - which grade it is could change the treatment plan post surgery. 

Tomorrow - Stefan goes for his cat scan (used during surgery) - and he will confirm with Dr. T that we are going ahead with surgery.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey,
Your in good hands. I was lucky with the surgeons--one I did not like and the other is a great guy/surgeon and did listen to what I had to say.
You are in my prayers and God Bless and you will see a light at the end of the tunnel. Best wishes
Laurie

Amanda said...

I will be thinking about you and sending every ounce of positive vibe I have your way. Good luck and best wishes.

Anonymous said...

I will use my birthday wish to send all the best to Stefan. I hope everything goes well with the surgery and the recovery! Thinking of you, Steffie!

Erin Meyer

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the blog.I have been praying for the big guy since I heard about the cancer.

Anonymous said...

Hey guys! I am happy that things are moving along again! Hope everything goes as planned today and that after the surgery, you will all have good weather to recuperate in. ( Apparently here in Ontario, Spring is still a ways off) Kisses and hugs to Superchuck!!!
Stefan aka Brain Tumour Man- go kick some brain tumour butt!!!!! ;)
Sarah T and family

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that things are moving along! I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to have to wait, wait and wait some more. We'll be thinking of all three of you as always. I can watch Charlotte if she would like to spend any days next week with her cousins, just let me know!
Love you guys!
xoxo
The Harasymow 6

Bluebear Jeff said...

It IS both of you going in for surgery.

True, he will be the only one being operated on . . . but you will have all of the stress of waiting/worrying/hoping during the surgery.

I know. I went through it when my wife had brain surgery over 11 years ago . . . and she is sitting 6 feet from me typing away on her computer right now.

You BOTH have our best wishes for a happy, optimal outcome.


-- Jeff & Lani