superhero

superhero

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Last Day - Message from Stefan

I finished the third round in tumour treatment today.  It is hard to believe that it has been exactly 6 months -exactly  182 days  -  of experience that has had an unbelievable impact on my family's life. Two surgeries and one 28 day treatment of radiation.  December 17, 2010 to June 16, 2011.

I had my final meetings with the radiation staff that ended in a very positive aura. They provided me with info  on the side effects I am experiencing/could still experience, with info on the protection I need to take from the sun and with encouragement to call the clinic if there is anything that hits me between now and my re-evaluation  on September 21st.  They were a great positive team who showed my treatment to whoever drove me to my appointment.  They reminded me today at how happy they have been with showing people what is done in radiation.  The more people know, the less in the way of radiation rumours, fear and misconceptions are spread.  I have written info on and life - experience in the system that  I would be willing to share if it helped those experiencing the cancer world.

Tomorrow is the start of recovery - a new day.  I believe the tumour has been eradicated.  No tumour could survive two surgeries and being zapped for a month.  I am going to have a swollen side and hearing problem  for a while as well as still needing an afternoon nap.  Seems rather small in comparison to what I was experiencing before the first surgery.

My family and friends have provided me with recovery motivation.  I have had supportive drivers, supportive contacts and supportive prayers from my family, Taleen`s family, friends we have worked with, friends we have across the country and over seas, friends from rugby and friends  from high shchool and university. 
To everyone who has provided me and my family with support - Thank you.  The help was greatly appreciated.  I want to be in touch with you soon.  I will be writing a blog again soon with other reflections.

It is time for me to get ready for the new start.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the post Stefan! Thinking of you guys lots...I also believe that Sebastien is gone! Good luck with your new start, talk to you all soon!

Michelle, Ben and Nick

Anonymous said...

I hope your recovery goes well, Steffy! Wishing you and your family all the best!

Erin Meyer

Amanda said...

So glad to hear you're moving on to a new phase - just in time for summer! Happy recovery!

Anonymous said...

So glad that you are in recovery! So happy that you will be able to enjoy your summer with your family! You guys are in our thoughts and prayers every day! You are such a strong person and you have so much love and support, there's no way that tumor could still be there! Congrats on your new start! Love and miss you!
Michelle, Demo and family xoxo

Anonymous said...

Steffy! So good to hear all the positive news! Good luck with your recovery!

Kim Gould

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Stefan. Continually wishing you and your family the best.

You turn values into reality - that's caring, love, and leadership in action.