superhero

superhero

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Camping

Our first camping trip was a success!  We called it our test run, to see how the kids did, it was a mere 18 hours long, and we were less then 10km from home, but they did great, so future trips will be done!

The rundown:

3:30 pm - the truck is packed, the kids are dressed and appropriately sun screened, we roll out of the driveway with tim hortons as the first destination so the adults can caffeinate up.
3:35 pm - on route we realize we have forgotten three things, a garbage bag, the crib board and chairs
3:45 pm - coffee's in hand, we head back home for the forgotten items
3:55 pm - once again, rolling out of the drive way
4:05 pm - arrive at the Anmore camp ground and pick out our spot
4:10 pm - set up camp
"I've got this lounging thing down"

5:00 pm - Stefan breaks in his new camp stove (his fathers day present) 
5:20 pm - Charlotte collects sticks for the fire; Nathan chews on sticks; Stefan starts the fire
5:30 pm - Nathan has his dinner
5:59 pm - one very excited little girl
6:10 pm - we eat our lovely dinner of sausages and beans, gotta love camping!
6:40 pm - Nathan gets his bottle, some cuddles and ready for bed; Charlotte practices her ballerina moves around the camp.
  

6:50 pm - smores time!  We discovered these 'campfire' marshmallows which are about 3 times the size of a regular marshmallow and are perfect for smores!  Charlotte, not being a big sweets girl, was content with just roasting them!

Charlotte with her smore - this is the look we get when we say "smile"
Nathan helps!

7:00 pm - Nathan goes down to bed.  He sleeps in his tent within the tent.  He had 2 wake ups before we were all in the tents where we had to go in and lay him back down and soothe him a bit - but he did spectacular!

7:50 pm - Charlotte gets cleaned up, takes her medicine (just glutamine right now to help prevent mouth sores), and ready for bed.
8:00 pm - While reading Charlotte her bedtime stories we notice her nose is bleeding.
8:01 pm - Quick call to the oncologist on call to discuss the nose bleed, by the time we are off, her nose has stopped bleeding.
8:10 pm - Tuck Charlotte into bed
8:20 pm - Stefan and I enjoy a baileys with hot water (a Michelle tip - don't knock it till you try it!) and Mr. 'half a brain' beats me at two games of crib.  We enjoy the chatter of our little girl from her tent, and the more dramatic chatter of the neighboring camp site (see 10:30 pm).
9:30 pm - I check on Charlotte who is still awake (and I can't blame her with the noisy neighbors).  She's quite a happy girl and asks to come out - I oblige, after all, we're camping!  She joins in on the card playing.
10:00 pm -  Charlotte and Daddy take a walk to look at the moon.
10:10 pm - Load up the car.
10:20 pm - We all crawl into our tents.  We have Charlotte and I in the 'girls' tent and Daddy with Nathan in the 'boys' tent.  Charlotte reads me a story (she has pretty much memorized 'Chicka Chika Boom Boom').
10:30 pm - Listening in on the neighbors; one has an amazing lawyer who can get them out of any DUI charge, one has a 'blow' habit, one describes everything as f$*@ing A!  I lay looking forward to 'quite time' at 11.
10:40 pm - Surprisingly (I usually have a very difficult time falling asleep) I drift off to sleep while watching my sleeping girl.  This is a treat for me as my kiddies are so well sleep trained I never get to cuddle my girl to sleep (I should clarify - they weren't 'trained', we just kind of lucked out with good sleepers).  If I attempt to lay down with her for a bit at home, she orders me out of her room.......

5:15 am - I hear Stefan up with Nathan (a typical wake up time for him), I drift back to sleep and am glad I'm in the girls tent!
7:00 am - I get up, and think about how I can quietly open the zipper to get out without waking Charlotte
7:10 am - I wake up Charlotte with the zipper.
7:15 am - Stefan greets me with a coffee (can I love him any more) and he says he was up till midnight listening to the 'entertainment', he was up again at 2am, but he's well caffeinated at this point.
7:20 am - we cheers each other with our coffee at the success of our kids with camping!
7:40am - I start making us french toast.
7:58 am - Charlotte has her morning cartoons (she is NOT a morning person) and breakfast.  What did parents do before IPhones and IPads?

 
8:30 am - we clean up camp 
9:00 am - Charlotte plays with string

9:30 am - we leave camp
9:38 am - we pull up to our drive way to this.



Yep, that is our house, and that is a neighbors car on top of one of the trees that we had just 2 weeks ago trimmed.  It happened minutes before we got home.  Luckily no one was hurt (except the tree).  What is the world trying to tell us?  A couple years ago, something like this would have stressed us out - but now - we say "it's just a tree, and no one was hurt" and can't help but laugh.  Anyone have any landscaping ideas to replace the missing tree?

Despite the surprise when we came home, we are pretty happy with the camping trip and we all had a great time.  Looking forward to another trip soon!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

What a fantastic, positive outlook you have, Taleen!

I think, through all the trials and tribulations of these past couple of years, somwehere in there you have also been given a gift - the gift of not sweating the small stuff.

Now, how EXACTLY does one drive into a tree??? Glad no one was hurt and it really is just a tree. Also, I'm sure insurance/neighbour will cover the damage so eventually it will be taken care of or replaced.

I'm glad your camping experience was a success! We have yet to venture down that road...

Fucoidan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Hi Taleen! Looks like you guys had a wonderful time together at the camp site. I found your Blog on the being cancer network, very helpful. I have helped my friend David Schapiro put together a blog maybe you would be interested on checking out. www.cancerfighting.weebly.com

We try to be as realistic as possible to document and capture the details of her story. In this other blog Sun Kim commented her improvement from her condition (lung cancer/metastasized to brain)
www.fucoidanproducts.weebly.com/success-stories.html

I hope it is helpful for you and your family.

Keep up the positive attitude and God Bless

Unknown said...

How about replacing the tree with a bit of gravel to create an extra parking space?

It's the right size and in just the right place. :)

Glad to hear that your camping trip was a success. If you ever want to borrow our big old travel trailer and the truck to haul it, let us know.

Love and hugs
Danny