superhero

superhero

Sunday, January 20, 2013

life in maintenance

Life in maintenance has been good - definitely better then the craziness of 2012.  It's not perfect.  But better.

Some highlights/lowlights of the past few weeks:
  • We signed Charlotte and Nathan up for a couple classes at the recreation center.  They were signed up for a music class together, but Stefan took them to the wrong class by accident - creative dance.  Charlotte loved the other class so much - we decided to keep her in it!  She is also in a ballet class and absolutely loves it.  It is such a treat to be able to have her in these classes...with other kids!  It's so normal!
  • I'm back to work.  I'm back 4 days a week and last week was my first week of a full return.  It wasn't too bad.  The kids have been fine at home with Daddy, but must miss me as I haven't been able to eat dinner all week without Charlotte on my lap.  I have heard many joyful "Mommy, your home!" from Charlotte - even on my days off!
  • Stefan starts back next week!  He'll start in the classroom teaching.  He's just in three days this week, for 3 hours each day.  Excited to see how he does.
  • We have a rugby girl (Jessica) who will be helping out with the kids - and they love her!  They will be in the dayhome they were at before Charlotte got sick on Mondays, and Jessica will help us the other days.
  • The kids and I have come down with this awful flu (you know the one, runny nose, wet cough that just won't go away).  It's into it's 4th week now.  Nathan and I even had the flu shot, but it hasn't seemed to have done any good.  Luckily Charlotte hasn't had any fever so no trips to the ER were needed.
  • The following story is gross - but a picture of how our normal is.  We went out to Whitespot on Friday for dinner.  Charlotte was eating really well (which she hasn't been doing lately), and then started coughing (this awful flu).  This was accompanied by a small puking session (which has been pretty regular for her lately - not sure if it's just her, or this flu).  Our little lady was quite discreet though, and we managed to clean it up - still in the process of cleaning - she dives back into eating.  That's our little trooper.  Luckily I don't think anyone in the restaurant noticed.
  • Charlotte had blood work done in early January, and both her platelet and hemoglobin levels were low, but not low enough to warrant a transfusion.  As a result, she is covered in bruises - poor little thing.  (the low platelets cause bruises to appear quite easily and they tend to not go away as quickly)
  • Charlotte's hair is growing back - looks like it will be a similar color to Nathans, light brown.  A sad goodbye to the dark brown locks of pre-cancer.
  • She is back in for treatment tomorrow, lumbar puncture and vincristine.
  • My brother and his family came over for a belated Christmas get together.  They were great company.  The grandparents bravely took on all 4 kids so we could have an adult dinner out - a first for us together so we had a great visit!  I also got some great game playing time in with my brother (thank you to our super duper spouses for letting us).  Dominion has been our game of choice of late, and we managed to get in about 6 games!
  • I've started spin classes and thinking up some fundraising ideas in preparation for getting my butt in gear for ride to conquer cancer!
  • We have been thinking about a future trip.  Possibly up to Whitehorse, or maybe even just Stefan and I to Vegas.  But when it comes down to details - I get a little anxiety and panic.  All in good time though I think - maybe by the summer we will all feel comfortable with a trip!  Right now I'm very content with being able to go to Superstore as a family and date nights at IKEA!  That's what 9 months in a bubble will do to you!

Family!

No comments: