superhero

superhero

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Friday Night Date Night

Not quite the date I had imagined.

While we had planned for a quiet night at home with a visit from some friends - it turned out a bit different.

When I got home from work, Stefan said he was tired and felt 'pressure' in his head.  I knew enough at this point that my husband is a tank - and if something doesn't quite feel right - I better pay attention.  He had also finished his anti-swelling medication on Monday.  So - I said I was taking him to Royal Columbian (he didn't want to go - but I didn't give him a choice).  Royal Columbia staff had told me last time we were there that if there are any issues to go back to RCH.  It was 5:30pm - doctors office was closed - and I didn't want to wait till Saturday.  I had read too much on seizures post operation to take the chance.

So - we got Charlotte ready and dropped her off at my Mom's and settled into the Royal Columbia ER room.  We were prepared for a long wait - but it wasn't too bad all in all.  We got there just before 7pm and were out by 10:30.  They did a cat scan and compared it to the one taken after surgery - there were no significant differences - and Stefan did NOT have blurry vision, problem speaking, etc.  We got a nice look at the cat scan - and the huge 'hole' in Stefan's brain where the tumour was.  Made the obvious joke of "wow honey - obviously you didn't use that much of your brain!" - the doctor had a good laugh!  I'm not a radiologist - but was reassuring NOT to see a large white mass like we saw in the original MRI.  To me, it looked like only a small amount of the tumour remained - I can go into that Wednesday appointment more hopeful.  We were good to go and told to come back in if any other symptoms did appear.  Whew - perhaps a waste of time - but we could both sleep better that night!  So worth it!

Stefan and I hadn't eaten at this point.  So we grabbed a late sushi meal before going to pick up our doodlebug from my mom's.  Perhaps not the best way to get a date night - but we'll take it for what it was!

1 comment:

Bluebear Jeff said...

When my wife was recovering from her brain surgery, she felt funny too.

They rushed her down to take a CAT scan (she was still in Hospital).

Her doctor asked what it felt like and she said said it was sort of like the air bubble in a carpenter's level shaking around.

The doc laughed and said that she was pretty correct. There was some air in her head left over from the surgery . . . and it would slowly be dissolved away.

Her response . . .

"Great, first you discovered that this blonde had a brain . . . and NOW you're saying I'm an AIRHEAD?"

So I guess that brain surgery patients can still have a sense of humor.


-- Jeff