superhero

superhero

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Just another day...

It was just another day for my family of misfits.  Which of course these days, means another trip to the hospital.

On Thursday afternoon, we got a call from Superchucks pediatrician.  The urine sample that we had done last Friday had showed high white cells - aka. bladder infection.  But Charlotte had no fever and has been feeling fine.  The pediatrician wanted us to come in for a 'sterile' urine sample.

So - Friday morning - we made the trip to Children's ER (the Dr. told us to go there - and she had left instructions with them).  When she had said 'sterile' urine sample - I hadn't thought she had intended to get that with a catheter.  Stefan and I have both had that pleasant experience -and didn't wish it for our daughter.  (Urine samples are typically taken from babies/toddlers by sticking a plastic bag to them - but this can lead to a 'contaminated' sample).  So, we pleaded for another way to get the sample - and opted for the 'catch it midstream'.  So - with the TV on, with our standing naked girl, and a bucket of warm water - we only had to wait for about 10-15 minutes before our girl did her task.  We rejoiced in our success!  The sample was negative (no bladder infection!) and we were free to go!

We decided to pay a quick visit to my little cousin (4th cousin if you want to get technical - but it's all the same in our family).  He's 12, and getting treated for leukemia.  Stefan chatted with him about their treatment - and suggested dinner to celebrate when this is all done - and they can take pictures of their bald heads together!  He is one tough little boy!

Then it was home for me to get some work done.  My brother is in town from Victoria - so he and Stefan made a trip out (my brother got to experience what it's like for me to go shopping with Stefan - running into 5 people he new, and chatting with each one).

Then we had a wonderful dinner (my Mom cooked) with my little family and my Mom and two brothers!  I love my brothers, and it was nice to have them all to myself for a night - as much as I love their families - hanging with your siblings makes you feel young again.  We did our favorite thing -played a game - and I slaughtered them 2 out of the 3 games!

All in all - a great day - and we are getting used to trips to the doctors office/hospital!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Makes me feel young again too - cooking for my favourite "peeps"