superhero

superhero

Thursday, June 7, 2012

My Rant

Someone once asked me, shortly after Charlotte was diagnosed, "do you live on a plutonium mine?".  I'll get to the answer in a second.

Here is the thing, if you had asked me my thoughts on cancer a couple years ago, I was ignorant enough to think it would never effect my family.  I was one of those delusional people that thought cancer only effected old people, mean people (pent up anger causes cancer, stress causes cancer) or those people that ate crap.  Boy did I get a wake up call, actually I got two.  Here is the thing people - cancer doesn't discriminate - it will impact EVERYONE in some shape or form.

So - no - we don't live on a plutonium mine.  Stefan had his tumour for 'years' before he was diagnosed - so it was there well before we moved into our new home, and before Charlotte was a thought in our minds.  We don't live under any power lines or have questionable buildings nearby.

The two lightning strikes that have hit our family do not have a known cause, and are not related - we just got lucky so to speak. 

I would say we are a pretty healthy family.  I try to buy mainly organic.  We order our beef and chicken from organic or pasture raised BC farms.  We exercise.  No Johnson & Johnson for my little ones, and Charlotte has never even been to the golden arches.  (don't think too much of that - we still like our fast food - just that occasional Whitespot is our treat of choice).  I was one of the first on the 'no bpa' products band wagon.  I'll take my dandelion covered lawn over a weed killer'd green one.  We don't even have a bloody microwave.  Shall I go on?  I guess our guilty pleasure is our wireless internet - do you think that caused it?  This is my mind - double guessing everything.

I can understand people thinking it may have something to do with our lifestyle or environment for us to get hit twice by cancer within 15 months.  But I just don't think you can use that thought process with kids.  I just don't understand childhood cancer.  These little beings haven't been in the world long enough to get exposed to toxins, etc. - how in the world do they develop cancer?  It boggles my mind.

So - there are three paths I could have chosen after our latest diagnoses:

1. well - we did everything we were supposed to do - and still got hit by cancer - scew it all - let's drink, eat crap and be merry
2. that's it - we are only eating grass and berries from our own back yard, and I'll weave us some clothes from the tree leaves, we are going to live 'off the grid'.
3. ah well - this sucks, lets carry on as usual.

Can you guess which one I took?


No comments: