superhero

superhero

Saturday, October 27, 2012

A hospital visit

We had a stay in the hospital this week.  Charlotte woke up early Wednesday morning (4am).  At first she asked for crackers, which I got her.  Then she was upset and wanted cuddles.  This escalated into crying, and eventually "my tummy, my tummy".  At first I thought it was nausea and gave her the anti-nausea medicine, but this didn't seem to help.  I gave her a heating pad for her tummy.  At 5am, I had Stefan call the oncologist on call.  Feeling her tummy, it felt on the firmer side.  They wanted us to bring her in.  Murphy's law - as soon as we got off the phone with the oncologist, Charlotte stopped crying.  On the trip to the ER, she was non-stop talking.  ("oooh, it's dark out mommy", "it's Halloween", etc. etc.). 

The ER was dead, and as an oncology patient, we were given a room right away (to keep her away from germs).  She had an x-ray done, and then we went to the oncology clinic once they were open at 8am and spent the day there. 

Bottom line was she had severe constipation.  (Is Charlotte going to hate me in 10 years for this being on the internet?).  The chemo she has had can cause constipation.  There had been a number of kids in with the same problem.  The doctor also said there are some virus's that can cause the bowel system to slow down.  She was in a lot of pain and received a couple doses of morphine.

They kept us admitted in the hospital for a few reasons:
  1. The steroids that she is on can mask a fever among other things
  2. She is in the most intense part of her treatment
  3. There have been 'incidences' in the past when kids have gone home in this condition (didn't expand so as not to worry me)
  4. Since the morphine makes constipation worse, it's hard to manage at home
  5. The x-ray had no red flags, they were being cautious
I was fine with staying at the hospital and making sure Charlotte was taken care of.  The hospital was so busy, we actually had to share a room with another oncology patient.  This is pretty rare, but supposedly does happen a couple times a year.  So, Stefan had a very rough night the first night as the other child didn't sleep.  The second night Charlotte finally had her bowel movement before bed, and everyone slept much better.  Another movement Friday morning - and we got our exit ticket!

She unfortunately hasn't had a movement since we've been home, so I'll be doubling up her laxative tomorrow and will probably pick up another concoction too.  My poor girl!  She has been in pretty good spirits though, and I loved having her help me make muffins today!

It was kind of good timing for us as we had my brother, sister-in-law and sister in for a visit so we had extra help at home with Nathan and some company at the hospital.  My maid of honour from our wedding was also in town and I got a good visit with her too! 

Tonight we are feeling a bit spoiled.  My parents came and helped out today and I had a fantastic nap while Stefan went and watched some rugby!  Then my friend Christine of Almondine brought us a fantastic dinner and dessert!  So - I'm sitting down with a very full belly and a glass of wine! 

Here's hoping tomorrow brings us some poo!

No comments: